Sunday, July 3, 2011

Psalm 92 Women -- Margaret and Millie

There is a new pastor at of one of our partnering churches, and I really love his preaching style.  He spoke on thankfulness as a mark of the Christian walk this morning, and Psalm 92 was the scriptural text.  I was particularly drawn to verses 12-15 in this passage:

 The righteous flourish like the palm tree
and grow like a cedar in Lebanon.

They are planted in the house of the Lord;
they flourish in the courts of our God.

They still bear fruit in old age;
they are ever full of sap and green,

to declare that the Lord is upright;
he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him. (ESV)

I've know a few older saints that have met the above description of an aged, righteous person, but I want to mention two of them in this post:  Margaret and Millie. 


Margaret was a mentor to me when I was a young adult.  She was in her eighties when I first met her at my church. After just one conversation with her, I knew she was someone who I wanted to spend time with.  Over the next year or so, I began to meet with Margaret for lunch from time to time.  It was a wonderful opportunity to get to know her and learn from her. 


Margaret was a single woman who had never been married, never had kids.  She lived in a tiny apartment (in an unattractive complex) by herself. She had no family that I was aware of. For me, as a single person at the time, it seemed like hers would be a miserable life.  In fact, singleness was one of my greatest fears as a young adult. So in my mind, being in your eighties with no husband, kids, or grandkids would be a recipe for lots and lots of complaining; yet Margaret was one of the most joyful women I had ever met.  One time I asked her if she ever regretted never marrying.  Its been 25 years and my memory is pretty fuzzy, so I don't remember her exact answer.  


I do remember, though that the answer was "no."  While at a younger age, she longed for a husband and children, at some point she surrendered her desires to God and accepted His plan for her marital status, which turned out to be celibacy and singleness.  Margaret reminisced how full her life had been as an overseas missionary and how good and faithful God had been to her all her life. Her life was rich and full because of her relationship with her Savior.


I don't remember now even where Margaret served (I think it was somewhere in Africa), but I remember thinking that when I got to be Margaret's age, I wanted to be just like her, even if I never married.  That she was content and joyful in God's calling and purpose in her life was evident in both her speech and gentle, gracious attitude. If bitterness and resentment over unfulfilled dreams were ever part of Margaret's life, no trace was left of these when I knew her.


The other woman who has recently set an example of aged godliness is Millie.  I'm guessing that she is in her late 70's.  She attends one of our partnering churches. When we visit her church, she is faithful to let us know that she is praying for us.  


I don't think I know a sweeter soul in my town than Millie.  Someone told me that she prays faithfully every morning for 3 hours.  When I asked Millie about this, she acted like it wasn't that big of a deal. In fact she was pretty matter-of-fact about it.  


When I asked her if she kept a prayer journal or if she had some special routine that she went through.  She simply replied, "No, I just kneel down and pray what the Lord gives me to pray."  Millie loves her Savior, and her righteousness is evident to all through her meekness.  She doesn't call attention to herself or make it a point to display her righteousness before men. I love this sweet, unassuming woman!  Millie is on a limited income, but never have I heard a complaint about finances.  She has a richness of faith that no amount of money can purchase.  


Meek, humble, unassuming, steadfast Millie.  Contented, joyful, gentle, gracious Margaret.  I want to grow up to be like them someday.

They still bear fruit in old age; 
they are ever full of sap and green,




1 comment:

  1. Catching up here tonight. All beautiful posts, Katherine. Thank you for the blessing.

    ReplyDelete