Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Dad

In honor of Fathers Day I wanted to re-post a memory I wrote about my dad a couple of years ago.  I feel so blessed to have such wonderful men in my life like my dad and my husband.

One very special memory I have was of an event that occurred when I was a young adult, just 18 years old. Ironically, it happened when I was suffering from Hepatitis A (the non-chronic form of Hepatitis) that I had contracted while working in a day care center. After about 3 days of puking my guts out, my dad entered my room with a book and began to read to me. The sound of his voice reading aloud to me was so soothing — like oil to my soul. I honestly have no idea even what book it was; I was so out of it. What mattered most to me and what created the special memory was the gesture.


 Dad

It had been several years since my dad had read aloud to me, but this had been a regular nighttime routine throughout most of my childhood and even into my teen years. I remember either he or my mom would come into my room or my brother’s room and we would read a portion of a book together as a family. When we were young, of course, we read picture books, story books, poems, and nursery rhymes: The Pokey Little PuppyThe Little Engine That Could, and other Golden books, Child Craft Poems, How Can We Get to the Zoo?, Yuri & the Moonie GoatsGrimm’s Fairy Tales and my favorite – Mexicali Soup. As we got older, chapter books replaced story books. Some of the more memorable titles we read together were The Lion the Witch & the WardrobeThe Wizard of OzTom SawyerHuckleberry FinnThe Prince & the Pauper, & Swiss Family Robinson.

I don’t think I really appreciated this small, yet significant sacrifice that my parents made until I was older and had kids of my own. My dad worked hard when I was growing up. He was an Engineering Geologist for City of LA. Every day he commuted two hours, round trip, into the City and back, braving the traffic on the Southern California Freeways. I’m sure he must have been exhausted by the time he got home and ready to just veg for a while in front of the TV or indulge in some other form of escape rather than read aloud to us. I so appreciate however the consistency of my parents in making reading aloud a priority.

Now that I have kids of my own, this is a nightly routine that we have incorporated into our own family as well. At night, we gather in one of the rooms of the house, either a bedroom, the family room or living room (we like to mix it up a bit :0) and read a chapter book for the older two girls and a story book, poems, or nursery rhymes for our youngest daughter.

I cannot even begin to list all the benefits of reading aloud. Aside from the obvious academic advantages of literacy and vocabulary development, are countless others. Some of the reasons I value this routine so much are because it is a powerful way to develop family connectedness/bonding, create memories and establish a family identity (i.e. "This is what our family does"). Many times we will be living life together and something will happen or someone will say something, or we will be observing something and one of the kids will say "Hey that reminds me of the time in ___ book when the ___ character did ___ ". We also find that some of our best discussions as a family come while reading aloud. We will often stop and ask the girls why they thought a character did something or what they think will happen next or what could be the result of a decision or action of a character or how the actions of the characters compare to a Biblical world view.

I am grateful for the memories I have of being read aloud to by my parents. Thanks Dad (& Mom) for setting an example of a routine that was so special and memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment